Saturday, June 28, 2008

60% versus 100%

Quick entry:

So after an interesting (actually not so much) CALL BACK to Noises Off, I walked back to SJ Rep deep in thought and analytical assessment. There have been a handful of times when I've walked away from an audition where I feel absolutely serene. That's not to say that I landed the role or anything, but the feeling was, for lack of a better word, flavorful.

Today was not the case. It's been 3hrs and 30 mins since I was allowed to leave the CALL BACK and I'm still stewing over how un-explosive/energetic my performance felt. Which brings me to my subject-title. 60% versus 100%. While I practice the habit of "Go to audition, then drop the feeling when it's done", there are singular cases when it's easier said than done. Many times I feel absolutely prepared to read but as soon as I bust out of the gates and utter my first line, BOOM -- my performance energy seems to be at 60% (just a guess in numbers). I want to be at 100%! I want to be at 100%!!

Now...I can keep saying that until the cows come home and there are situations when that has been the case, zoom...0 to 100 in a matter of seconds. Yes, I love it. But due to the limited exposure to auditions here in San Jose, the experience-training isn't very consistent. Which brings me to my final conclusion on the matter. Training. The act of training is slowly moving into a mindset rather than something "to-do". Which is a plus.

Well, that's it. I'm writing on the topic more of a way to vent than anything else. I would like to comment that my scene partner for today's CALL BACK was fun, energetic and a pleasure to read with (even though the particular cut of dialogue was utterly short. We'll name her, Kim. Lol.

Finally, I know I'll be stewing on this for a few days but don't worry about me, it's mostly because I really have nothing to do for the next few days but work and read. Haha--the next audition is right around the corner on July 12th with Renegade Theatre Experiement.

100%....100%....100%....

No comments: