Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Anyone notice the spiel?

A friend and I were talking about human interactions and she brought to my attention, the "spiel". The deal is, when people to talk to each other, especially if either they've just met or they're having a conversation after some time apart they always seem to want to push their spiels onto the other person. It's probably a generalization but think about it, when was the last time you had a conversation with someone you haven't seen in a while and just listened. Purely listened with no intention of really wanting to share what you've got hidden in your conversation bag?

Okay, maybe I overstated that idea. Now that I think about it, there are numerous conversations I've participated in where I'm content to just listen. I suppose what I'm trying to say in this entry is...I'm now more aware of the "spiel" when it comes around. It just surprised me because I like to pride myself in my well practiced behavioral observations of humans. Just to clarify, I'm mentioning this purely for personal awareness and not because I think the "spiels" are silly.

I took a film analysis class a few years ago and it gave me that extra dimension of watching film. I now feel that way about conversations. So, what's your name?

No comments: